Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mon Espace Créateur - { My Creative Space }


With trumpeters trumpeting and choirs heralding its arrival...the cardigan is finally finished!! Bijou will have approximately 3 days to wear it before the weather turns too warm but alas..it is done! And whoa what a ride!!


I undertook this "challenge" (insert "epic marathon", "gargantuan task" or "stupid, stupid idea" as you see fit) in order to re-connect with a past craft and hopefully push myself to actually finish something woolly. I pottered on rather happily for some time but as it came time to pick up stitches, sew together seams and the scary like my confidence (and ability) abandoned me and I quite frankly...stuffed it up! The wonky, knubbly seams due to dodgy casting off (in fact I contemplated pulling out the overlocker on several occasions whilst stitching it together), the holes where stitches should be around the neckline, one armhole higher than the other, etc etc. And yes, tears were shed!


Then the real tears came! The ones signifying that no matter how hard I try, how much I want to get it right, how much I follow the pattern to the letter there are going to be times when I, as Bijou's Mumma am going to stuff it up. There will be times when I make a wrong judgement, times when she won't like me, times when I let her down, times when I embarrass her, times when I lose my temper.


I'm not perfect nor is this world (and certainly nor is her jumper!) but I can hold true to the one thing that I am absolutely certain off...I love that girl with all that is in me. And even though I'm bound to "tangle my yarn" as a Mumma, I will be doing absolutely every stitch of it with love....just like I knitted her jumper.


For other (probably far less gushy) creative spaces pop over here. I'm going to google some simple dishcloth patterns to knit to practice my skills...something I should have done from the beginning!!

19 comments:

Kathy said...

Steph, it looks just gorgeous and I am sure Bijou will be a sad little poppet when it is too warm to wear. Well done for hanging in there!

Sally said...

A beautiful cardigan, and a wonderful metaphor for parenthood too.

Jane said...

Oh, Steph, how gorgeous! It looks fabulous to me - I haven't knitted since I was 10 so I admire anyone who can. And the main thing, anyway, is that every stitch was knitted with love. Just priceless. Make sure you hold onto them when she has grown out of them. My mum did that and now I can dress my daughter, India, in them, nearly 40 years later. That gladdens my heart:) See you on Planet Baby J x

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Gosh, that is too lovely, look at her sweet rosy cheeks. Send her down to us, it's almost snowing in Canberra today, she'll make good use of the cardi here. Love Posie

Kylie said...

It looks fantastic and dont you tell yourself otherwise.

This pattern was a huge task to undertake for one only picking up the pointy sticks again and you have done a fab job.

I will convert you to all in one 'seamless' knits on bigger needles, then there will be no stopping you.

melissa said...

Thanks for the reminder after having "one of those days" that no we arent perfect and we do the best that we can with the skills we have and be assured that everything we do is with the best intentions and from our heart!... By the way Steph I think your cardi IS perfect!

Seaside Siblings said...

You should give yourself a pat on the back because it looks GREAT! Well done you.

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

*sniff* let me just wipe away that stray tear! Steph i take my hat off to your knitting prowess as I fear those knitting needles like a fear a huntsman in the outback dunny! Bijou looks adorable in her knitted bundle of joy, and is that some Mon Petit Poppet pants i spy her in? - just beautiful that she can wear what you make with love! Have an awesome rest of the week steph xx

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Beautiful post, you brought a tear to my eye!

Lovely cardigan as well :-)

Catherine said...

I admire you so much - I've been stuck on scarf or other simple projects for so long, without the commitment to give something tricky a go. And I think it's beautiful - perhaps more beautiful because of the imperfections and struggles?

moose and bird said...

Such a lovely creative space Steph, tears and all. The jumper looks fab from here....you shouldn't have mentioned that it was wonky and I wouldn't have known. And isn't Bijour just the sweetest little poppet ever....how could you say no to those chubby little cheeks. x

Cathie said...

ohhh Steph, that is the most beautiful post!
i think all mums at one time or another think the same, the doubts, the guilt, the uncertainty.
the only thing certain is our love for these little people that we created & continue to mould with all the love that is possible to have for them.
you are the best mumma to Bijou & nobody can take that away.
hugs oh gushy one

karlyn Jackson said...

Steph, it's so sweet and such a soft colour...it's funny, it is a very similar pattern which I had mum make Rosa last winter, I think we received it just before spring, she has only worn it a few times but I am now putting it on her this year as a 3/4 cardi over a singlet....

Pearlin J said...

what a sweet post!that cardigan looks perfect to me.

ROROISM said...

oh gorgeous one!

Jennie said...

Wow Steph - it looks amazing!!
And your little one is absolutely gorgeous!!!!
I love this post.x

Claire Gale said...

oh how adorable - cardi and poppet:)

My Handmadehappiness said...

such o lovely post and a lovely jumper x

Bubby Makes Three said...

Have I mentioned how much I adore the name Bijou?? And that cardie is way too sweet!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...