Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mon Espace Créateur - { My Creative Space }


I have made no secret of the fact that I love tea! A love affair (yes, quite possibly an addiction) my heart became tangled in when I was a wee snippet of a thing and my chosen vessel was a bunnykins mug. Cups of milky tea and cruskits with peanut butter were thrust into eager hands upon arrival home from school on wet days when the wheel of your bike caused muddy water to spray up leaving a giant dirty line up your back.



Then there were lunches at my Mum's grandfather's house, Pa. A morning spent outside exploring the little white wooden laundry shelves laden with treasure filled jars, squeezing the plump Impatiens seed pods and in an instance watching the seeds burst everywhere and the pod transform itself into a gorgeous green curl. And then a lunch of white bread sandwiches spread thickly with proper butter and vegemite and topped with fresh slices of tomato from Pa's extensive vegie garden. Loose leaf tea from a tea pot with a snugly, woolen tea cosy topped off this delectable feast.

And I can't forget watching my own Papa Bear grasp the handle of the billy can on camping adventures and whirl it around in an steaming arc. Such a display to rival any Barnum and Bailey Circus performer! And then staring into the glowing coals and sipping the tea from grey melamine mugs and munching on some yummy slice Mum had packed. I however always forgot about the tea leaves and ended up with a mouthful of grit!!


And although I don't remember waking after an endoscopy such is the wonder of a twilight anaesthetic. Hubby has told me with not a hint of fib in his eye that when asked by the nurse if I wanted a cup of tea I replied enthusiastically, "Oh, yes please!!". She then asked if I wanted a bikkie and my response was, "Can I have two?" Some things will never change.

But the cups of tea I enjoy most nowadays are those make believe ones supped with my gorgeous Bijou and it doesn't take much effort from this Mumma Bear to convince her to play along with this little set I made from a Ric Rac pattern. Tea parties are simply magic!

To marvel at the workings of the creative mind please pop into Kirsty's lovely blog and immerse yourself in glorious craftiness.


33 comments:

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Love that we move in the same blog circles, i thought of Ric Rac immediately, you both have that gorgeous attention to detail. Ahhhh, fabulous!! Enjoy your tea. I don't drink tea or coffee but my mummy is English & i know the power it has. Love Posie

angelina said...

is this jodi's pattern?
well done..i was about to press the button and jodes said they were 'fiddley'. hmn. was the pattern hard? but then this is me we're talkin about,,, and i unpicked her bucket pattern. btw, those sewing buckets are sooo used in our house. for lots!!
thanks for sharing the teaparty pretties..xx

Beck said...

I loved reading about your memories of tea & family, how special. These little rituals are what make our lives unique. Enjoy the fun & games with Bijou, I love the teapot xo

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness, that little tea set is so so sweet! you have made a beautiful job of it.

x

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

I love all the stories that accompany your posts. You certainly have a way with words to take us on a little story each time. That tea set that you made is absolute;y gorgeous! In fact I don't think I've seen anything quite so cute in quite some time!

Jessica said...

Lovely tea set and lovely stories, thanks for sharing!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

gorgeous! the red fabrics are perfect!

Screamstress said...

Gorgeous tea set! In our family too, tea has strong symbolism, I've had to explain to the Panda "When you make me a cup of tea, I understand that you love me" Have a great tea-filled day!

Unknown said...

What a lovely tea set! I am really into tea and my husband, who is English, just cannot leave without it!!!

Looks like you had a lovely day!

moose and bird said...

Steph, your creativity astonishes me. What a fab tea set you have created.....I love it. x

Sue Niven said...

I Love it! Cool colours used too. I adore Jodies patterns!

Melinda said...

Oh, I am loving these! They are super adorable and I love the colours you have used - very pretty and girly.

Danielle McDonald said...

These are gorgeous. I particularly love the little tea cups!

Little Eve said...

Beautiful childhood memories. Tea is wonderful and this gorgeous teaset is a very special way to create memories with your Bijou. x

Cat said...

'Those are cute as', as said by my Miss 6 sitting on my lap feeling unwell. You've done a great job Steph it look beautiful. Enjoy many more happy tea drinking memories. Have a happy Thursday. xo

Tina said...

Utterly gorgeous Steph! I love the heart-shaped button handle on the teapot lid too!
It makes me want to pop the kettle on.... yes time for a tea! :)

CurlyPops said...

That's the perfect crafty tea set Steph!

Kylie said...

Tea for Two - what a cute little set - well done you:) Love the story - I can see you know with grit in your teath - we should take a camping adventure when this wind packs up and leaves town.
There is a nice little spot at Noosa and the boys could go for a ride:) (Why do I always seem to tell you more here than I do on tea/coffee meets - ahh - because we are chasing children:)

Seaside Siblings said...

love, love, love it!!!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous post, such wonderful memories - thank-you for sharing. Love the tea set, gorgeous!

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

the power of a good tea is under-estimated! And made from a little handmade goodness to be drunk (in an imaginary fashion) with loved ones and perhaps some fabric friends, i do believe magic is real. I love your fabric choices Steph - and may I ask? How do you take your tea??? Much love to you and enjoy the rest of your week ;-)

Unknown said...

such a wonderful idea- looks authentic but no spills or breaks! amazing work as usual! xo m.

Chicken Willow said...

Oh, it looks lovely.

Heidi said...

That is so so so cute!!!

bron @ baby space said...

Oh - I really love this tea set and the Baby Space toddler would love it too - when we went to Mathilda's Market's he was looking for one.

Sandrine said...

What a beautiful tea set, I am sure your little bijou will LOVE it forever!Well done et bon weekend :)
x

Unknown said...

oh just beautiful, it makes me want to go and wake up my lil one to play tea party although our tea set is just made of plastic.....no where near as divine as yours! very clever you xo

Anonymous said...

I love the way you write up your memories Steph. My wee girl has just requested a Rosy Tea Party for her fourth birthday party, so I completely understand your love of all things tea. I am now on the tea cup collection hunt, only bone china will do! Have a great weekend x

Bubby Makes Three said...

what a gorgeous idea!! My little daughter would LOVE that!!! Such a sweet blog!

Laura Argelati said...

Hi...I'm Laura from Italy! Lovely blog!
I'd like to invite you to visite also my blog :D

Laura from Italy

Cindy said...

Very sweet...my girls would adore this set. Clever.

Cathie said...

absolutely gorgeous Steph!!
I have that pattern aswell from Jodie & waiting for the inspiration to hit so I can make it.
I think I may have to try soon...thank you!

Jill said...

What a gorgeous tea set! Bijou is a lucky little girl, having such a talented Mummy!
Enjoy your tea time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...