Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Escargots - { Snails }


I love how the French make a ceremony out of eating snails! There is the special little plate with divots in it to hold the wee snail snug, the eyelash curler looking utensil to grasp your slippery friend (not because of any slime but because of the garlic butter waterfall dripping off them) and then the slender fork just pointy enough to snag that morsel of mollusc and pop it into your eagerly salivating mouth.


When Hubby and I were last in France (Oh my, could I sound a bit more hoity toity!? We've been two times but with that kind of talk it sounds like I pop over twice yearly for the collections!!) we were delighted to discover a B and B attached to a snail farm. Unfortunately as it was winter, the snails were bundled up in sacks hibernating and hence we didn't visit. Instead we took a perilious Tour de France pilgrimage halfway up L'Alpe d'Huez in our little Peugeot and amazed at the stength and courage of the people that do it...on bicyles!


When next we visit with our little miss we hope to spend some time there watching the thousands of baby snails feasting all day on luscious grass. Imagine the conversations, "Look Bijou! There's a paddock of sheep...a paddock of cows...a paddock of snails!!) The owners then prepare a delicious feast of snails in their vast country kitchen complete with copper pots and pans before tucking you into bed. And croissants in the morning...bien sur!


When our dearest friends' beautiful daughter (our god-daughter) turned one I took along these little meringue snails to add something to the festive spread. It was quite apparent that meringue is something we're never too old for as most of them were scoffed by the adults. The rest made a few kidlets loopy with sugary pleasure...and their parents eye ball me across the yard. Oopsie!

11 comments:

Maxabella said...

These are so sweet! I just popped over to your blog from Brenda's at Mira Narnie and I'm so glad I did. What a great place to be! x

CurlyPops said...

I mush prefer your meringue snails Steph!
I don't think I could eat the real thing ha ha.

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

Hah! I just got a giggle from your first comment - Maxebella so kind she did my blog header for me! what a sweet little bloggy community this is!
I remember being the true tourist and eating garlic slathered snails when in Paris! But these little critters you've whipped up look like my kind of snail. Have a great week Steph xx

melissa said...

I could never understand how anyone could eat garden snails, but youre meringues look delish! Enjoy your week!

Little Eve said...

I could never bring myself to eat escargots, i'll stick to croissants any day! I used to serve them up to the willing when working in a French Restaurant many moons ago, and never felt tempted. I'd eat your little meringue friends though, yum!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh i can imagine the do gooder parents freaking out, honestly!! Special event food, hello!!??
Well i can be equally hoity toity & say "last month when i was on a cruise of the Greek Islands with my husband, i ate escargot & it was delicious, almost as fabulous as our waiter from Chile & the views off the coast of Croatia". How is that??!! Should point out that was our first trip to Europe in 13 years (since our honeymoon, amazing how 4 children change the destination of our overseas travel, i.e. to Disneyland) & this trip was to celebrate actually seenig my husband who has been home for 2 weeks this entire year!! So you enjoy your meringue escargot & i'll play pretend too. Love Posie

Katie @ Grow. Cook. Sew. said...

Steph, they are brilliant.. I can't even make normal meringues, let alone get them into fancy shapes!

Heidi said...

I could definatly eat your version of escargo...I bet they loved them!!

Kylie said...

Wow - I might have to get some tps:) These look great well done and LOL at the looks across the yard:)

bron @ baby space said...

Love it! Super cute wee snail snacks :) Am dying to visit France myself. will report back when it finally happens!

Sandrine said...

OH you made me giggle Steph with your snail farm story :)I love the meringue little ones much much better!:)x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...