Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Mon Espace Créateur - { My Creative Space }


When Hubby and I decided to take the plunge and invest in real estate we held pie in the sky dreams of a rambling (read: huge!) Queenslander with a gazillion rooms, ornate arches and breezeways, coloured glass casement windows thrown open onto a divine wrap around veranda luring sea breezes in to swirl throughout from the polished floorboards to the high ceilings. However, upon opening our wallets and finding barely two coins to rub together...yes we had a GORGEOUS wedding, amazing travels and more meals out than in (pre Bijou of course!)...our plans changed!


I was a woman possessed on my mission to track down "the renovator". The house that makes women weep and grown men (especially builders) run in fear. Hideous carpet...check, wallpaper of every hue (on every flat surface!)....check, lime green kitchen...check, bathroom still smelling of the previous owner....check (and eeww!!!). And I found it in a little timber post war number!


The house Hubby and I have (not so proudly) called home for the last 2 and a half years fulfilled all our requirements. It cost an absolute song...and took some loony couple to see its potential (that's us!). Before we had our poppet we spent many (and I mean many) hours plugging away at the gigantic list of home improvements with me often ending up with the dodgy jobs i.e removing all the wall paper only to have Hubby decide we should re sheet most of the walls anyway...cheers love!, removing all the layers of lino in the kitchen and the glorious black tar that I unearthed like buried treasure underneath.


But the things I enjoyed most involved my "gorilla bar junior"! A mini version of a crow bar that packs some serious punch. After a stressful day with 27 or so zany kidlets I could come home and rip something down...ah, the satisfaction! Can't wait to dust the old girl off again for the next house....a Queenslander I hope! Crossing my fingers, toes and eyes as I write.

As my brother is renovating at the moment too I thought it fitting to make a wee little tool set for my gorgeous nephew's first birthday. For a plethora of creative spaces pop over here and be amazed!

For the record...yes, I have my own tool belt and yes I have my own pink hammer! And as you can see, I wasn't exaggerating about the lime green kitchen. Gorgeous dahling!

18 comments:

mel @ loved handmade said...

Oh boy you are brave! DIY on that scale is scary stuff..but oh so worth it!! Gorgeous tool kit, very clever..

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous little tool set. I bet your nephew will love it!

I've never been game enough to DIY like that but I do dream of it. Well done for getting stuck into it and getting it done!

Cathie said...

ahh, that sounds like our dream home only in victoria!
same story, some smells, same unearthing but boy do you look glamorous doing the job Ms Steph!!
love the mini tool set, how cute, he'll LOVE it.

Unknown said...

Tell me about evil wallpaper to remove. We just bought our first flat with my bf and there was up to 5 layers (some of which painted over) on the various walls. I have to keep repeating to myself that it's going to be so worth it.

CurlyPops said...

Wowee go Steph go!
There's nothing more satisfying than smashing something to pieces.
Your little nephew is going to be thrilled with his very own tool set.

nadine paduart said...

oh! the joys of renovating... wish i was already handling that old wall paper... but nooooooo.... not just yet.... good luck ,huh?

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

Ok - this is getting a little weird! I HAD to buy the sad looking art deco renovators dream years ago when we moved to Melbourne and we worked tirelessly too fixing her up! Love the lime green kitchen - I had the apricot version!!! ha ha ha! loving the tool kit - your nephew will love it! Enjoy all that sunshine your getting - I am so jealous xx

Megan said...

go you! i love the idea of renovating but i really don't think i am all that suited to hammers, crow bars and power tools. the pink hammer is fantastic though, and so is that very stylish tool kit. your nephew is going to love it!

Baa-Me Kniits said...

I love the old Queenslanders...hope you get it :-)

bron @ baby space said...

FABulous snaps. I know all about that hideous black layer under lino - not fun! Love your pink hammer :)

Kathy said...

He will love it and get hours of fun out of those too cute tools! Loved seeing your reno piccies... you go girl!

Cotton Kiwi said...

That tool set is divine Steph. I am sure your nephew (and your brother!) will love it. Love the pics of you renovating your house too. So cool to have that record. Our kitchen wasn't lime green, it was bottle green.... and purple. The previous owners had wallpaper of eggplants and other assorted mediterranian veggies and had picked the eggplant colour scheme for the rest of the kitchen. Joy! Nearly there but boy is a labour of love! Have a great weekend. X

Tamara | One Craftee Mumma said...

What a gorgeous gift idea for that little handy man! The tool set looks great!

moose and bird said...

Your little 'sets' are just amazing. First it was a chef set, then a tea set and now an awesome tool set. I'm sure this will be loved and carried around for a long time to come. xo

Unknown said...

Great idea with the tools set! I am sure he will be thrilled to receive such a great gift!

I admire you for being so brave with renovating and getting right into smashing the kitchen! Well done!

Enjoy your weekend! X

Melissa said...

I love how great you look in a denim mini hacking away at your kitchen. The felt tool kit is cute too mind you!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

He he he, you look so sweet, angelic preschool teacher then go home to rip out a wall, love it!! Those were the days i bet!!
I would love a Queenslander & have the children to fill it. Alas, we are realistic with high school next year but as we plan to actually buy & build a farm & house of our own next year, it is still in my mind. A Queenslander by Lake George near Canberra, could happen!!
I bought my eldest daughter an Estwing hammer for her 1st birthday, rock on girls, it's hammer time. Love Posie

Heidi said...

I love the tool kit!!! I love the green kitchen I bet it was amazing in its day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...