Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Soupe de Citrouille - { Pumpkin Soup }


Today I heralded the overdue Autumnal weather with my first soup of the season. I find soup to be such a comforting food...perhaps it's because it slow cooks all day permeating the house with its rich aromas...perhaps it' s because it doesn't require chewing which can be a bonus after a hard day...or perhaps it's because it is most often served with bread and butter....lashings of butter!


I can't really say I have a favourite soup as they all seem to hold their own special charm. A true Soupe d'Oignon (French Onion Soup) supped in a candle lit bistro tucked away on the left bank in Paris. Crusty bread lavishly dressed with bitey gruyère the only adornment necessary. Or my own Mumma's Tomato Chowder carefully tended to on her old stove (not "antique" old...but "two elements haven't worked for years" old) and served up in a big corningware soup tourine on a bright orange seersucker tablecloth. Or an old favourite...pumpkin soup. Just what the doctor ordered today.


A "straight from the farmers hands" pumpkin drizzled with garlic oil and roasted until golden and beginning to caramelise. Sautéed onions and home made chicken stock. A dollop of sour cream and freshly grated nutmeg. And a slice or two of sourdough with plenty of butter (enough butter so that you leave teeth marks as you bite!). C'est parfait!







10 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Yummo. That looks so delicious! Pumpkin soup is one of my all time favourites, especially in winter.

melissa said...

Mmmmm that sounds yummy and looks delicious, Ive got some pumpkins ripening in the garden and may have to do the same!

Heidi said...

My mouth is watering come help me cook for the summer!!! I think we could do some damage not only in the kitchen but shopping as well!!

It looks DELICIOUS...

Kylie said...

Yumm - lovers of soup here too (three years in the south gets you that way)

You should have seen us today - I had the kids all rugged up this morning with the lovely rain that was falling outside - only to venture out and swelter - not used to this humid rain thing LOL - dont know what the neighbours thought (I held the beanies though)

Kate said...

Divine!!! It makes me feel like winter is an adventure.

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Pure deliciousness, food en flower!

Hope you are having a great week, Steph! xx

Cathie said...

today is definitely a soup eating kind of day in Melbourne, rain, cold & the heater on!

hope you are having a good week, my visiting is a little behind this week as we are all in the middle of colds.
thanks for popping by Steph, it always makes me smile

Tina said...

Today was of another soup-eating kind of day in Melbourne, and I made a yummy pumpkin soup to get in the spirit of this cool Autumn weather (my 1st for the season!).
Hope yours is the first of many sensational soups!

Kathy said...

Looks positively delish:) Enjoy your Mother's Day, Steph. I know Daz and Bijou will take awesome care of you and spoil you positively rotten... as it should be of course!

Anonymous said...

oh gosh that looks divine Steph x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...