Monday, May 31, 2010

Les Marchés au Puces - { The Market of the Fleas }

Call me daft, but I love washing! Out of all the chores on the home front...washing and me are the best of friends. The "Leaning Tower of Ironing" and I eyeball each other for most of the week and sulkily come together when we've both had enough of re piling the clothes into the basket as they've tumbled to the floor. Why can't men's work shirts be made out of t-shirt material??? The vacuum used to be a favourite but since it induces rather dramatic conniptions from mon petit poppet, it's become a love you and leave you kind of acquaintance. The kitchen sink and I don't even pretend to get along....we simply loathe each other! But washing and I ....we're like this (picture crossed fingers)!


Why you ask incredulously? It is a delightful mixture of many things....the scent of freshly laundered clothes, pegging out wee little socks, damp sheets against my cheek, singing "Wet washing hanging on the line, drying very quickly when the weather's fine" à la Noni and Benita from Playschool, memories of swinging on the hills hoist when I was a kipper.....memories of a big red perfectly circular bruise on my Papa Bear's forehead where, on his nightly trip to the wheelie bin, he'd collided with said hills hoist after I'd forgotten to wind it up after one of my dizzy jaunts. Oopsy Daisy!!



So when I spied this miniature version from afar at an oppie the other day you won't be surprised that I ran...yes, ran through the store to claim it as my own. There may have even been some Granny shoving aside in my haste but I was intoxicated with that deliriousness that comes about when you've unearthed a brilliant find. And for the princely sum of $5!!! Magnifique, fantastique, incroyable, merveilleux....O.K. Steph enough with the French adjectives (big dirty show off!).

My rather tardy Flea Market Finds adds to a glorious list of treasures over at Her Library Adventures. Please pop in for a squiz! I'm off to hang out a load of towels.....wet washing hanging on the line, drying very quickly when the weather's fine!


26 comments:

Beck said...

This is high up on the list of my Dream Finds. As an avid washer woman myself and as a lover of all things Home Corner related this is the ultimate. You Lucky Girl! I would have hurdled seniors, jumped over prams and possibly even ever so lightly shoved anyone who was in my way to get to this beauty. Enjoy!! xo

Cathie said...

I am definitely not a fan of washing, hanging or folding..but I would LOVE that at our house...then the littlies could help with the hanging.
tres magnifique Steph
bisou

Selina said...

Ahhh, you and I are kindred spirits. Nothing pleases me more than laundry. And, of course, anything laundry related. But yes, that ironing.....well, who could possibly enjoy that?! Great little find!

Tracey@bountifully said...

doily gorgeousness Steph, now what do you plan to do with these lovelies?

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. WORD! That is absolutely ADORABLE!!! I am envisioning my daughter washing her baby doll clothes in a vintage blue and white enamelware basin, hanging them out to dry ~ a most excellent find!

Kylie said...

Well done great find - we used to loan one last year from the toy library and the kids LOVE it.

I love washing too - ironing - humm - it has to be done:)

Megan said...

I am a washing nut too- I have to try and limit myself to one load a day! My toddler has got one those mini washing lines- very cute watching her try to peg things on-she uses about 5 pegs for a little flannel but insists on doing it her way!!

Cotton Kiwi said...

What a great find and a fantastic price Steph. It will be perfect for your little Bijou to play with outside her fabulous Mummy made wendy house!

Cotton Kiwi said...

Fantastic find Steph. It will be fantastic for your little Bijou to play with outside her fabulous Mummy made Wendy house.
Oh and you should get some of these too... http://www.marksandspencer.com/Ultimate-Non-Iron-Formal-Shirts-Shirts-Mens/b/59548031?intid=AB:CL_ULT

Kate said...

Brilliant find! Your lucky I wasn't anywhere near or I might have tried to race you for it and that would not have been pretty. Enjoy playing.

Seaside Siblings said...

I have to say I am not a huge fan of washing but if my washing line was as cute as that, I might just change my mind!

moose and bird said...

Great find Steph! I had one of those little lines when I was a wee one! I do wonder whatever happened to it??? xo

Megan said...

washing is very much top of my household duties list as well, nothing like fresh sheets on the bed straight off the line after drying in the sun. aahh.
great find for the washing line! I was eyeing off something similar in a catalogue to buy for kindy just yesterday, but at $89. small difference...

Cat said...

That's a great find Steph, Bijou will have so much fun playing with this. My girls had one but it didn't look nearly as sturdy as your find and didn't last sadly:( maybe I'm the one who misses it the most (lol). Very cute.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Cute!! I have a mini clothes line in silver with ugly gold cord, so i'm thinking of switching it out for red & white twine & amazingly, actually using it at markets!! I will, eventually, it's quite large & yes, i bought it when my youngest was like 6 so my husband knew i couldn't pretend it was for the children. He he, love Posie

A'n'G Johnson said...

granny shoving is only frowned upon by those who underestimate a good find! all is fair in love and war... and in flea markets, yard sales, and the like!

Wendy said...

Well done, Granny!

Brenda said...

My ironing pile fell onto the floor yesterday.......guess what I now have to do today? I'd rather be sewing something exciting or having a coffee with my friends.

I could imaging that if all your blog followers were in that op shop at the same time when you spotted the clothes line, the rush for the prize would look like the boxing day sales.

Anonymous said...

I am not as big a fan of washing as I used to be now that I wash for hubby and 2 kids (lots of socks), but there is nothing like the smell of freshly laundered bedding I would say x

Poppyprint said...

Okay, that is seriously cute. What's an oppie?

Claire said...

Hehe that is so funny! Now if you see an old granny limping down the street you will wonder if she was your op shop victim :)
But I can see why you ran - it is the sweetest thing!

Miss Muggins said...

I had one of those as a wee girl, perhaps it has instilled a love of washing and like you hanging things out to dry. Nothing beats the smell and feel of freshly washed sheets dried in the sun (sigh)

ricebabies said...

I dont mind washing, but I am not a fan of putting things away.

I had to laugh about the granny pushing you away thought. he he

Catherine said...

gosh that is beautiful Steph - and I love all the doilies hanging on the line! maybe if I had one of those I'd enjoy washing more too!

hope you both have fun with it!

mylittlebirdie said...

oh its gorgeous, i have been keeping both eyes peeled for one of those to add use at my market stall. i love it what a fabulous find. think you'll both love playing with it ; )

*kate said...

My daughter is always asking me to lift her up so she can hang clothes on the line. This would be perfect!

(I also love washing and hate ironing.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...