Monday, May 9, 2011

Sugar and Spice and All Things Nice.....

It was quite uncanny that mon petit poppet chose to make these Sugar and Spice biscuits for our weekly baking jaunt as she has been far from "all things nice" the last few weeks! Now before you howl in horror at me over the "butter wouldn't melt in her mouth" cherub of a child, let me announce that the Mr. Terrible Two's has arrived in this humble abode and has refused to leave as unwanted guests tend to.


She is still so incredibly loving, creative, chilled out, funny and full of life ...she's just testing the waters....often! Patience has become a whole new level of virtue and consistency and following through has become the order of the day. Oh how I long for those swaddled in muslin days where she'd smile up at me from the confines of her cot....even just for a few hours.





But then I find myself wondering. Would I be concerned if my gorgeous little wisp of a creature was docile, demure and always obliging. If she never challenged the way things work, rebelled against the norms and asserted her individuality and independence. And after a moment of hesitation I'd have to resolutely answer, no! Girls were once raised to be sugar and spice and all things nice and then were promptly trampled on by their masculine peers and further down the track, husbands and colleagues.


Although I don't want my girl to be a tear-about crazy child and I'm far from letting her get away with blue murder, I do want to foster in her some sense of power, encourage her ability to affect change, to negotiate , make choices and to (when appropriate) say, "No". I want her to be free and individual, independent and strong. Oh but balancing this rickety old see saw ain't gonna be easy!



So here's to you my honey bee....sugar and spice and all things nice (well most of the time) in my eyes. May you change the world!.....


And me, well I'm packing Mr.Terrible Two's bags and sending him on his way with a handful of these bikkies. On your bike....and don't come back!



Sugar and Spice Biscuits


125g butter

1 half a teaspoon vanilla

1 third of a cup of raw sugar

1 egg

2 tablespoons of wheatgerm

1 cup wholemeal plain flour

2 tablespoons, wholemeal self raising flour

1 third of a cup raw sugar, extra

1 teaspoon cinnamon



Beat butter and vanilla until creamy, add sugar, beat well. Add egg, beat only until combined, stit in wheatgerm. Stir in sifted flours. Roll mixture into small balls, toss in combined extra suagr and cinnamon. Place on lightly greased oven trays, press down lightly with a fork. Bake in a moderate oven for 10 minutes; cool on wire rack. Make sabout 35.



6 comments:

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh yes, there is a line or link between stubborn, bloody minded, wilful & well, being a first born daughter, they are just here to challenge we mummies. Mine also ignores peer pressure, so it's good in the long run, love Posie

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

Mr Terrible Two has also been visiting us quite a bit lately! It is a very trying time at this age! I have very similar thoughts re. the whole standing up for yourself thing. As much as life would be a whole lot easier if all of my children were beautifully behaved all of the time, I am secretly quite proud that they are confident enough to test the waters and to stand up for themselves.

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

Oh bless you poor mumma dear! Oh yes, those terrible two's can shock the socks of you! My little darling is currently having wardrobe tantrums, as i mentioned in one of my posts, she loves to wear barely a thing! driving me crazy! i get her dressed and then turn around and she back down to her knickers!! arghhhh! Oh but you put it so sweetly, yes of course i want my children to be assertive and full of self esteem and proud of their choices!!! Hang in their mumma dear, and if in doubt, bake more bickies!! Those ones are going to get made for sure this week as i've got two sickies!!! much love xx

Allana said...

It can be a struggle can't it! I think you are looking at it the right way and the harder days remember "this too shall pass!"
What is the gorgeous book in the pics? It looks adorable!
Your recipe looks delish too, will have to give it a try :)

Quill and Ink Handmade said...

My lass has been testing the waters lately too - after the whirlwind of toddler tantrums we've had from her older brother, little Lou's defiance seems a lot easier to manage. I like that she's becoming more independent, knowing her own mind, learning and wanting to do things her own way.
Great post, and delicious looking cookies!
x

bron @ baby space said...

Boo for the terrible twos... but yay for yummy cookies and cute books :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...