Monday, June 7, 2010

Les Marchés au Puces - { The Market of the Fleas }


I am simply unable to sit still! There, I said it! No, I don't have circulation issues, nor an attention deficit disorder. My limbs are simply making a futile attempt to catch up to the Cathy Freeman part of my body that is my overactive mind. Even whilst supposedly relaxing my brain is moving at speeds too dangerous for formula one drivers. And yes, I am usually a casualty of such brain hooning! I have tried yoga, staring at a candle, breathing in lavender oil but instead of a calm mind free of constant whizzing and whirring I end up with cramps in my deriérre, cross eyes and head spins!!

But when all seemed lost and I prepared myself for a giddy life with my roller coaster brain I found the antidote. It isn't packaged in the traditional bottle or blister pack and it doesn't need to be taken with water. It only has the rare side effects of the odd sleepness night and one's language occasionally slipping into incoherent babble. Its' healing powers on the other hand are too numerous to list. This wonder drug that has single handedly taught this hyperactive "to do" list gal to sit and be still is called Bijou. These days I stare for ages at impossibly dark eyelashes, I hold pudgy fingers and dawdle through the park, I read "Where is the Green Sheep" over and over and over, I squat down to wonder over the ants and where they are going in such a speedy fashion, I sit and breathe in my girl and all that is this remarkable time of my life. It will be over in the blink of an eye so I'm doing my darnedest to slow time.


When I uncovered these wee little wooden chairs I knew they would be perfect for tea parties, playing school and hair salon and all those other wondrous "slow" activities. They need a little t.l.c. but will come up a treat I'm sure.

Yes I have a basket full of washing, a mountain of ironing, oodles of sewing for Mathilda's Market etc.etc.etc but I'm going to crouch down with my poppet and finger through the fabric scrap box that she has just discovered and is thoroughly enjoying. And I'm going to do it slowly!

For more wonderful treasures please pop into Sophie's lovely blog.


14 comments:

Megan said...

most definitely perfect for tea parties. i'm picturing a lovely blue/green egg shell shade, a little table to match with a doilie and some delightful miniture tea cups. can't wait to see it all in action! (and mama sitting still and calm with little bijou running the show)

Chicken Willow said...

Those chairs are just the most adorable little things!

Cotton Kiwi said...

You do have a beautiful way with words Steph! Lovely post and a reminder to us all to slow down and breathe in our children as you so beautifully put it! Love the chairs. They look gorgeous already so I'm sure they will look amazing when you have finished with them.

moose and bird said...

These wee little chairs are as sweet as can be! Absolutely perfect for the myriad of tea parties I'm sure you will have over the years. Good luck with the Mathilda's Markets sewing. Hope you are well.xo

PJ said...

Gorgeous! They are a treasure no matter what you do with them!

mylittlebirdie said...

oh they are so beautiful, i do like them how they are now, very rustic but look forward to seeing what you decide for them. perfect for many many moments to come. you sum things up so wonderfully steph. it's the little things that count, when did they stop being as important to us grown ups? : )

Needled Mom said...

Ahhhh!!! How sweet are those chairs!!!! They are perfect for many things.

A'n'G Johnson said...

there is a sweet pleasure to slowing down and enjoying every second in a minute, isn't there!

I can't wait to see what you transform these chairs into!

melissa said...

Hi Steph! Gorgeous chairs , I reckon they are cute as is! Im sure your little poppet will have lots of tea parties with them!

mel @ loved handmade said...

They. Are. DIVINE!! I love those little chairs!!

Kylie said...

Another great find my dear. Smell her in - she is adorable. I am hugging mine and giving them extra cuddles today - the loss of two Australian Soldiers is just to close to home and all to real in this house as you can imagine. Cant believe that I will have a preppy next year- best go and give he another hug (I can still hug her in her sleep - her brother is another story)

Wendy said...

Gorgeous post, Steph! And your chairs---I can't wait to see what you do with them...

Tracey@bountifully said...

oh the chairs are adorable. Nothing little children to make you slow down and smell the roses (and examine cracks in the road, caterpillars and bits of rubbish in the park...)

Christina Lowry said...

Oh, the chairs are fantastic! I think I could slow down and watch the grass grow from tiny lovely chairs like those. I don't think I would do anything but wipe them over with a damp cloth and perhaps make some polka dot chair cushions to tie on them. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...